Monday, December 26, 2016

Christmas Stories


     One of my favourite things about Boxing Day, is reading the new book I got for Christmas.  I love settling down with a good story and a turkey sandwich.
    But before I could read for myself, I loved listening to stories.  A constant cry in our house was "Mom, read us a story." I was reminded recently of the joy of being read to.  There's a unique relationship between the listener, the reader and the author that is quite wonderful.
So, for those of you who'd rather listen to a story than read one, here are some suggestions.

This one is a favourite of Rev. Irwin.
"The Shepherd" by Frederick Forsyth, read by Alan Maitland.

While we're with Mr. Maitland, you might enjoy listening to 
"The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry.

Stuart McLean's "Dave Cooks the Turkey," is a modern classic.  You can listen to a broadcast of the whole show here. 

Charles Dicken's "A Christmas Carol," is a standard for dramatic readings.  You can listen to Neil Gaiman read it here.

Of course, the greatest Christmas story of all is found in the second chapter of Luke.  Listen to it here, the in language of King James.

Happy Boxing Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment