Monday, September 23, 2013

CLEARING HOUSE


    The other day,  I was leafing through a book of homespun wisdom published by the Eastern Ontario Women's Institute and came across this little gem.

SPRING CLEANING

I have just been cleaning cupboards and with neat housewifely art,
I have set things all in order in the storehouse of my heart.
There are many things I've always meant to save and look at every day,
And then again, a lot of things I should have thrown away
There are things in wild disorder, and mixed up with the lot,
Were bitter things, and ugly ones that should have been forgot.
But there are scraps of tender dreams
-a child's remembered kiss,
And a poem that my Mother wrote -
Ah how I've treasured this.
I discovered tho' that ugly things were taking too much space
Sometimes for new and lovely ones, I couldn't find a place!
And so I've tossed the dark things out - the sullen scraps and tatters
Of old-time hurts and fancied wrongs and here's what really matters.
Now that I've tossed the dark things out - each cringing one I found
The others shine the brighter - shed a radiance all around!
My cleaning work is nearly done, and I suggest you start,
For you'll find it's might nice to have clean cupboards in your heart!
                                                     --Maritime Baptist

       Clean cupboards are a good thing, both literally and spiritually,   Next week, SPPC is having a garage sale.  Not spring cleaning, but still a perfect opportunity to clear the excess from our houses and donate it to a good cause.  
       Perhaps while we're clearing out the clutter in our closets, we'll look at clearing the clutter from our lives and our hearts as well.  Letting go of the useless and dangerous and making room for the good and the bright.  Matt 6: 19-20

     


No comments:

Post a Comment