Monday, April 29, 2013

YOUR LIBRARY



by Linda Cliff




Let me introduce myself. My name is Linda Cliff and I am excited to say that I have volunteered to be the Library person for Saanich Peninsula Presbyterian Church. Everyone says they are excited when they get a new job and then comes the hard work and some of that excitement can fade. Hopefully, that will not be my story as I always wanted to be a librarian, and now that I have retired from nursing I will get a chance to fulfill this wish.

I recently attended a Conference presented by the Church Library Association of BC (CLABC). At this conference I learned:

 The church library needs a mission statement

 The church library is a Ministry

 The church library should be set up to support members of the congregation in their walk of faith

 Volunteers are an integral part of any church library

 There needs to be policies and structure so that operation of the library is not a mystery to the congregation

 The CLABC was developed to help congregations like ours make the most of their libraries
Quite the list! And these are only the high points.

We are a small library however there are many interesting books that you may find useful. Over the next weeks, I will
 organize the books we have into categories that will make it easier for you to find a topic that you may wish to explore.
There are many Bible Study guides available and this may be something you wish to continue after our weekly Bible Study takes its summer recess. Also, there are many works of fiction that would be perfect for your summer reading!



The Library is located in the main hall and you will be seeing some more books added over the next month. These books were donated and will add some more current titles to our collection. As the Mission Statement and some policies are developed I will be sharing them with Session and then with you.

How can you help? I will be looking for volunteers in the future and if you read a book that you feel may help someone in their walk of faith, do a book review so that we can all grow in the knowledge of the Lord and His love.



No comments:

Post a Comment