Monday, January 9, 2012

SPPC Celebrates our Artists

Artwork from two of our members, Bill Richer and Beulah Garrison, appeared in the December issue of The Presbyterian Record, one on the front page and one on the first inside page.  Congratulations to Bill and Beulah!

I interviewed our winners about the pictures.  Here's what they said.
Why did you enter the contest?
Bill:  Jean Strong saw the invitation to submit art work for the cover of The Presbyterian Record and “urged” me to enter.  She almost twisted my arm, but I need it to draw.  There were seventy entries ranging from age 4 to 90 years. My best hope was to make it to an inner page of the Record. When mine was chosen for the cover, I was flabbergasted, and delighted.



Tell me about your picture.
Bill: It is a pen and ink and watercolour angel in a star-filled sky
      Angels are an integral part of the Christmas story. I see this one against the dark blue of a night sky, proclaiming the news of Christ’s birth to the shepherds on the hillside.


How long have you been drawing?
Bill: Since the age of three. I really enjoy getting into the details of a picture. Sometimes it’s those little details than engross me more than the overall design. I have always loved drawing and painting and when I returned to Guernsey (I was evacuated during the war) I studied Art while working in my father's greenhouses. In 1952 I came to Vancouver and sailed the West Coast, right up to Alaska.

Any other art honours?
Bill: When I was a child in Guernsey I received commendations on work that I entered in the Eisteddfod  (Welsh Festival). Making the cover of the Presbyterian Record was a huge surprise for me, especially since I started getting congratulatory telephone calls before my copy of the magazine was delivered.


Any future artistic plans?
Bill: I’m not going to retire from drawing! I often get requests from people to draw particular scenes for them, usually seascapes or landscapes. I don’t do portraits. Of course, I regularly draw the cover of SPPC’s newsletter, “The Shepherd’s Way”, and the poster for the Christmas play.
 
And the director of the Christmas play is very grateful!

 



What made you decide to enter the contest?
Beulah: Because I saw the big Christmas tree in a painting last year and I thought it didn’t tell the whole story. Christmas isn’t just about the tree, the Christmas tree leads to the cross.


I used a Bible instead of the cradle at the foot of the tree, then the tree leading to the cross and finally the star, showing the light of the world has come.


Do you have any other “art” trophies?
Beulah: No. This one bowled me over.


When did you start painting?
Beulah: I took up Chinese brush painting about twenty-five years ago. I chose it because I wouldn’t have to draw, just smear the paint around with a brush. There are some very fine artists in my family, so I’ve been exposed to the medium most of my life, but I never thought I could do it myself. I took classes in Chinses art, then a few years ago, my daughter suggested I try just plain water colours, so I decided to give it a try. I had a week of lessons as a birthday present just this past year. I loved it.


What does painting mean to you?
I’m ninety years old and use a cane so jogging, golf and tennis are out. Painting gives me something I can do!

Thank you both.  May you continue to grace our congregation and our church with your many gifts.
 
To see all of the art submission for this contest, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment